Department: Health Center
Summary: Patient transporter drivers patients to various medical facilities for medical appointments within the local vicinity and on occasion to nearby towns/cities. Transporters will attend to their patients to ensure their safety, physical as well as overall comfort.
Essential Functions: Include but are not limited to the following:
• Schedule and pick up patients in a timely manner to assure prompt arrival for medical appointments.
• Transport patients to and from medical appointments throughout the local vicinity.
• Instruct and enforce the rules of facility transportation to patients and passengers immediately notify Police Official and facility transport supervisor in the event of a vehicle accident.
• Drivers may need to assist patients in wheel chairs, and or escort patients to designated areas within facility during patient’s visits.
• Operate wheelchair lift.
• When required, assist patients in and out of vehicle.
• Ensure patients and passengers are safely secured in vehicle.
• When not driving must tend to other medical vehicles for gas check, and weather check. Vehicles are in need of routine car washes.
• Drivers may apply first aid, life saving techniques or resuscitation on patients if they get ill during transit.
• Maintains mileage record keeping.
• Drivers must have excellent people skills.
• Must be able to transport for early morning shifts.
• Implement and practice safe driving skills according to the applicable laws at all times.
• Job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job.
• Must be able to read road maps and/or comprehend verbal directions information.
• Other duties may be assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Dependability- must be reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations
• Social Perceptiveness- must be able to be aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Active listening- must be able to give full attention to what other people are saying take time to understand the points being made, ask questions as appropriate, and not interrupt at inappropriate times.
• Critical thinking- must be able to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Speaking- must be able to talk to others to convey information effectively and clearly.
• Reading Comprehension- must be able to understand written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
• Writing- must be able to communicate effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the
audience. • Judgement and Decision Making- must be able to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
• Monitoring- must be able to monitor/assess performance of yourself, other individuals or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
• Service Orientation- must be able to actively look for ways to help people.
• Stress Tolerance- job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
• Cooperation- job requires being pleasant with other on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude.
• Self-Control- job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
• Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily
• Must have valid Driver License and be insurable under the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe Insurance plan.
• Must submit a DMV/MVR printout which reflects five (5) years.
• Must have mandatory CPR and First Aid Certifications or willing to work toward one within 90 days from date of hire.
• Completion of High School Diploma or GED.
• Proficient in English. Communicate effectively and convey information as necessary. Know and follow the chain of command.
• Must be able to do basic arithmetic (addition, subtract, multiplication, division).
• Ability to critically think under stress.
• Limited use of computers
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Materials Utilization:
• Must be able to operate wheelchair lift; know the basic mechanics of wheelchairs, walkers, and other assistive devices.
Certificates and License:
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• No supervisory responsibilities for this position.
• Transporters are on travel throughout the day. Various environmental and climate changers range from outdoor to office setting. There is a possibility of catching certain illnesses, etc., those common in working with the public in a medical setting.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include:
• Close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, or feel, reach with hand and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is frequently required to sit for long periods. Position may require employee to be able to lift up to 50 pounds as well as being able to physically transfer, lift and assist patients with their needs.
Passage of pre-employment drug screen and background check, and periodic drug screening upon employment.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.