Closes: Open until Filled
The Senior Accountant under the directions of the controller performs analysis of balance sheet and income statement accounts, checking for correct GL coding and performs comparisons to budget and to prior year. Prepare monthly variance reports and discuss significant variances with Controller or Administrator. Prepare month-end financial reports. Prepare schedules for annual audit, as required. Assist with drafting annual government wide financial statements assist with annual budget and special projects as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares a variety of detailed accounting, statistical, and/or narrative financial statements or reports requiring analysis and interpretation of source data.
- Prepare monthly analysis of interfund and intrafund transfers account and adjusting entries to balance the accounts.
- Periodically review general ledgers accounts to assure that transactions are properly recorded.
- Review expenditures and compare to budget to assure compliance with approved budget.
- Prepare monthly revenue and expenditure reports for distributions to department directors and communicate significant variances to directors.
- Assist with preparation of the annual budget and preparation of budget schedules.
- Assist with preparation for annual audit, including preparation of required schedules, assembly of data for government-wide financial statements and assistance in drafting government-wide financial statements.
- Performs grant-related post-award functions, including budget and expense analysis periodic invoicing or drawdowns, financial reporting, labor distribution charges and associated communications with FMIT directors, reconciliations and budget revisions.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Through knowledge of general accounting principles, practices and procedures; with governmental fund accounting knowledge a plus.
- Solid experience to self-motivate and ability to work independently;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance .
- Requires the ability to use synthesis data and information, as well as reference, descriptive, design, advisory and consulting data information as applicable.
- Requires the ability to apply advanced mathematical and accounting concepts, to include integration of related functions;
- Ability to perform and interpret statistical calculations which include revenue modeling, transaction activity and testing.
- Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to implement both intellectual and practical relationships.
- Involves responsibility for consideration and analysis of complex organizational problems of major functions.
- Required the ability to exercise the judgment, decisiveness and creativity required in critical and/or unexpected situations involving high risk to the Tribe.
- An individual should have hands-on knowledge of accounting software, spreadsheet software, and other report generating software.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Materials Utilization:
- Requires the ability to use, operate and/or handle equipment such as a computer, copier, calculator or telephone. This is not an inclusive list.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The individual must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, reach or feel and manipulate objects or controls. The employee is frequently required to sit or stand for long periods and walk distance, as well as stoop, bend, kneel and crouch. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Indian Preference act will be enforced The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.