Summary: The school custodian is responsible for maintaining and protecting the Anya Itpak School facilities and grounds, both internal and external appearance of the facility, as a reflection on its occupants. It is important for the custodian(s) to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning, and tidying up the premises, as well as, security of the facility and grounds. The ideal custodian is focused on building upkeep and has great physical endurance to cover a large space, with a keen eye for detail and diligence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Custodian duties include:
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces.
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets.
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks, and showers, and restock disposables.
- Wipe mirrors and windows.
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, mowing grass areas, rearranging disturbed gravel or rock areas, and cleaning entrances.
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests.
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replace broken switches, fixing door handles and locks, replacing windows, removing graffiti, and minor leaks).
- Report major damages, order vendors and/or parts, and oversee repairs.
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows, and setting up the alarm.
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks (storm repair, lifting and moving heavy items, moving chairs and furniture, etc.).
- Maintains student educational, health and safety records in accordance with current laws, regulations and grants.
- Maintains the documentation and reporting requirements of the school.
- Direct supervisor of assistant teachers and aides.
- Maintains and improves professional competence by participating in faculty meetings, team meetings as a member and facilitator, in-service training, staff committees and other appropriate professional activities.
- Reasoning ability skill in analyzing problems, ability to exercise judgement projecting consequences, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations, skill in administering disciplinary rules to children, and resolving situational conflicts among students.Position Qualifications:Minimum:
- Loves young people, can whole-heartedly engage in working with and for them.
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor, or in a similar role.
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances.
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components.
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices.
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness.
- Very good physical condition and strength.
- Willingness to maintain a high level of competence, exercise discreet judgment and honor confidentiality.
- Ability to interact with and maintain positive working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds.
- Compliance with Fort Mojave Indian Tribe drug and alcohol policy.
- Compliance with federal background check.
- Must satisfy health requirements as defined by the Tribe/state/federal program standards for care of children:
- Successfully pass a pre-employment drug test, upon hire.
- Successfully pass a physical exam, upon hire, to meet the physical demands required in the position.
- Successfully pass a tuberculosis test, upon hire.
- Current immunization verification upon hire see attached immunization requirement (see attached immunization requirements Caring for our Children: Health & Safety Performance Standards).
- Project an image of service and professionalism with a positive attitude.
- High school diploma and some higher education coursework.
- Interacts easily as an integral part of the faculty and staff.
- Understanding of the relationship of the Anya Itpak School to the Fort Mojave Indian community, and values and supports the mission of both.
- Experience, familiarity and the ability to work with the diverse constituencies of Anya Iitpak school.
- A minimum of three years successful elementary teaching experience.
- Licensed in CPR and First Aid.
- Physical Demands
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, run, walk for long periods of time, sit, climb or balance, and taste and smell. The employee must lift and/or move up to 60 pounds or more. Please review occupational hazard (Caring for Our Children: National Health & Safety Performance Standards).
Anya Itpak School offers: Competitive Wage/Salary; Medical/Dental/Vision Benefits; 401(k) Retirement opportunity; paid sick and personal leave, and paid federal holidays; free breakfast and lunch for all students and employees.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced. FMIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.