Department: Avi Kwa Ame Farms
Summary: The Greenhouse manager will be in responsible for overseeing all facets of the daily operations of the greenhouse which will include irrigation systems, hydroponic systems, crop planning, design and implementation of greenhouse layout, maintenance of hoop house crops and rotation, overseeing and scheduling of crew, and maintain a safe and clean environment for school age children. The greenhouse manager with work with coordinating school activities and learning opportunities with the staff at Anya Itpak Elementary School and also coordinate with the tribal commodities program for supply of fresh fruits and vegetables for the community. Applicant must be able and willing to write grants for funding of greenhouse projects. Applicant must be hard-working, self-driven, meticulous and dependable.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Creating a layout and plan for the greenhouse which will include an irrigation plan for both drip irrigation and hydroponic irrigation.
- Maintaining crops and all crop records which are being grown in the hoop houses and greenhouse
- Coordinating with teachers at Anya Itpak Elementary School to structure lesson plans and learning opportunities for students to learn about biology and plant science for a hands on learning approach.
- Able and willing to search and write for grants that fund greenhouse and educational projects.
- Maintaining all irrigation equipment and hydroponic systems.
- Pruning and harvesting of crops at proper times
Qualifications: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The Green house Manager must ensure that all activities are completed in a safe and efficient way. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- A bachelor of science (4 year college degree) in the field of agriculture, biology or environmental science is a must and required in order to interview for the position.
- Prior experience in a greenhouse is required and a must. At least one reference will be required for proof of experience.
- A four year college degree in the field of agriculture, biology or environmental science is required and a must.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid driver’s license
- Must be able to pass a drug test.
- Must adhere to the Tribe’s Drug-Free Policy and agree to maintain a Drug-Free workplace.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram or schedule form.
- Must pass a background check since this position will be working with minor children.
- Supervise 2+ personnel
- Regularly works outside in all weather conditions, exposed to desert temperatures, wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemicals, vibrations and sharp objects. The noise level is usually moderate.
- Greenhouse production is a physically strenuous and demanding job, frequently required to lift, pull and manage heavy equipment and objects.
- Specific vision requirements for this job include distance vision, depth perception, peripheral vision, color vision and ability to focus.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate; objects, tools, controls and machinery.
Applications are available at http://mojaveindiantribe.com/
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs