Department: Child Care
Closes: Open Until Filled
Summary: The Early Childhood Substitute Teacher will act on behalf of the EC Teacher during her absence. He/She will ensure a safe and healthy environment for children; promotes physical, mental, and social development for children while providing child care services to infants, toddlers, and preschool age children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Prepares materials and supplies needed for daily activities
- Organizes and participates in games, reads to children, and teaches them simple painting, drawing, songs, dance and movement and similar activities
- Directs children in eating, resting, exercising and toileting
- Helps children develop habits of caring for own clothing and picking up and putting away toys and books
- Maintains discipline in the center
- Assists in recording each child’s progress and growth; confers with parents as needed
- Maintains daily progress reports, activity logs, and accident reports; assists in maintaining educational and activity sheets/calendars
- Serves meals and refreshments to children and regulates rest periods
- Assists in preparing food and cleaning quarters
- Maintains professional knowledge and development by attending meetings, conferences and educational workshops
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required
- Performs other duties assigned
- Responsible and capable to perform in teacher position when lead teacher is absent
- Knowledge of early childhood development, diet and nutrition guidelines
- Knowledge of Early Learning Standards and implementation
- Some Knowledge of Mojave traditions, language, history and culture is helpful.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing
- Ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work extended hours and various work schedules
- Skill in operating various work processing programs and other office equipment
- Skill in administering disciplinary rules to children and resolving situational conflicts among children
- Certified in First Aid, CPR (preferably Adult, Child & Infant) and current Food Handler’s Card
- Early childhood Education course work required.
- Maintain required 18 hours of annual training
Must have classroom or child care classroom setting experience and the ability to manage a classroom size of 15-25 children each day. Must have experience supervising others and to effectively manage the care and early education of the program goals.
- Must be 21 years of age
- Have a High School Diploma or GED
- AA degree in Early Childhood, 9-12 Early Childhood College Credits, CDA (Child Development Associates Certification)
- One year classroom experience in caring for in child care setting
- Certified in First Aid and CPR (Adult, Child & Infant certification)
- Current Food Handler’s card required
- Must satisfy health requirements as defined by the federal program standards for child care facilities, which consists of:
- Successfully completing a thorough background and fingerprint check
- Sign a confidentiality statement
- Successfully pass a pre-employment drug test upon hire
- Successfully pass Physical exam upon hire to meet the physical demands requirement of the job
- Successfully pass Tuberculosis Test upon hire
- Current immunization verification upon hire
Must have a high school diploma or GED, must have AA degree in Early Childhood, 9-12 Early Childhood College Credits, CDA (Child Development Associates Certification) , One year classroom experience in caring for in child care setting (i.e. Center based program, etc. )
Ability to communicate efficiently and effectively both verbally and in writing
Ability to calculate chronological age of children for developmental assessment, attendance records, time card calculations.
Reasoning Ability: Skill in analyzing problems, Ability to exercise independent judgment projecting consequences, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations, Skill in administering disciplinary rules to children and resolving situational conflicts among children
Must be able to use a computer, with Microsoft Office Software
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Material Utilization:
Must be able to operate a vacuum cleaner, computer, fax machine, printer, cutter, shape cutter, digital camera, and laminator
Certificates and Licenses:
Child Development Associate Certificate or be willing to obtain within two years of employment
Supervises and provides leadership; guidance and direction to childcare assistants, aides, parent volunteers, volunteers, and summer youth workers, Maintains professional knowledge by attending meetings, conferences and educational workshops
Must maintain an age appropriate learning materials and equipment in classroom environment based on Early Childhood Environment Rating Scale
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, run, walk, sit, climb or balance, and taste and smell. The employee must lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more.