Department: Health Center
The Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) performs a wide range of reversible intra-oral dental procedures under the direction of a dentist. Provides chair side assistance, fully anticipating dentist’s need for various instruments, materials and services. Requires knowledge of dental anatomy, related oral anatomy, the technical methods and practices of dentistry, the functions of dental instruments and the materials to perform a wide variety of dental procedures.
- Customer service must be a priority
- Organizing and laying out instruments for dentist’s use
- Meeting and greeting patients and seating them in the dental chair
- Restores teeth prepared by dentist with permanent and temporary fillings
- Supports dentist in endodontic treatments by applying rubber dam, removing temporary filling using low speed hand piece, and cleansing and drying operative field
- Takes preliminary impressions for study models, modifying impression tray as needed
- Retracts gingiva from tooth for final impression by placing and removing retraction cord
- Assists in surgical treatment by applying and removing periodontal and post-extraction dressings, and removing sutures
- Instructs patients in preventive dental care measures, general nutrition as related to dental health, the common causes of tooth decay, and the care of prosthodontic appliances
- Applies desensitizing agents, tissue conditioner and other topical agents prescribed by dentist to specified areas of the oral cavity
- Proficient in taking dental
- Constructing and placing temporary crown and bridges
- Provide Oral hygiene and Post Op instructions to patients
- Will work with Electronic Health Record (EHR) programs including Dental Health Records.; training is provided
- Will provide training to new staff as instructed by supervisor
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; review courses
- Responsible for electronic health records data entry pertinent to patient service role
- Ensure Proper PPE is used at all times while on duty. Face surgical mask is to be worn in all hospital areas. Proper handwashing is required. If water is not available use hand sanitizer . Social distancing will be practiced by
- Proper PPE is used inside assigned Clinics or NIOSH- approved N95 Masks filtering face piece respirator or higher, if available, this includes eye or face shields, gloves, and isolation gowns.
- Complete all donning and doffing tasks in a safe acceptable method and discard of used PPE Complete provided training.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to apply common sense and understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral
- Complete required documentation of services
- Other job duties as
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must have completed 1 year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or other formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to provide the applicant with knowledge and skills required to perform expanded function procedures
- Must have a valid driver’s license in good
- Must have worked as a basic level Dental Assistant for at least 2 years
- Must be able to perform “four-handed dentistry”
- Must have worked continuously as a Dental Assistant for 5
- Experience working with elders and/or disabled individuals Must maintain highest level of confidentiality.
- Must pass pre-employment drug
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must have current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification by the American Heart Association for at least 90 days after start of employment and must be maintained during employment at Fort Mojave Health
- Must have a valid driver’s license in good
Position requires long periods of standing, walking, sitting, lifting, and bending as well as intermittent reaching, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Must be able to lift up to 10 lbs. for a prolonged period of time and occasionally up to 25 lbs. of equipment. Must be able to hear alarms on equipment, client calls and instructions from physician/department staff. The job requires the following vision requirements: close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have ability of repetitive use of both feet and both hands, fine dexterity of both hands, as well as grasping simple/light of both hands and occasionally grasping firm/heavy of both hands.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational