Under the direction of the General Manager, the Assistant General Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation and management required to make AMPS a successful enterprise. This includes general administration, policy development, planning, budgeting, engineering, and all aspects of utility operations. The Assistant General Manager manages and directs all aspects of Aha Macav Power Service (AMPS) Engineering, all service operations, including the operation and maintenance of transmission and distribution facilities. Supervises assigned staff including the Line Supervisor, Engineering Manager, Support Service Manager, oversees the line crews, metering, and all other assigned office staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
An employee in this position may be called upon to do any or all of the following essential functions. These examples do not include all of the duties which the employee may be expected to perform. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Plans and coordinates work required to efficiently repair and maintain electric transmission and distribution systems. Prioritizes work, assigns staff, and coordinates work assignments with the Line Supervisor.
- Oversees, directs and manages all assigned employees including monitoring work output, employee performance and recommending disciplinary action, if required.
- Designs and develops systems and methods to implement orderly electric system modifications without service interruptions.
- Develops and directs preventive maintenance programs to ensure minimal service disruption.
- Provides engineering expertise and assists with determining and planning system needs. Determine most appropriate method and materials for service improvements.
- Provides direct oversight over engineer cost estimating, budgeting and overall scheduling of overhead and underground distribution construction required to implement work plans, protection studies, line maintenance and the extension of distribution lines required to adequately serve existing and new customers.
- Oversees the scheduling and coordination of field work, and outside construction and/or engineering personnel with engineering functions, assists in the preparation and fulfillment of legal contracts and documents and performs necessary inspections and investigations.
- Recommends and implements new or improved engineering standards, practices or methods.
- Assists in developing operating and capital budgets and administers budgets throughout the fiscal year assuring conformance with fiscal goals and expense limitations.
- Oversees records management related to the operations of AMPS. Ensures compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and prepares and submits required reports.
- Prepares and administers contracted services including, but not limited to, tree trimming and line construction work, this includes managing the bid process and issuance of purchase orders as necessary.
- Assists in the development, implementation, operation and maintenance of the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system and assures its utilization complies with established safety and operating procedures and assists with system administration and field installation of automation equipment.
- Monitors compliance of the switching orders and switching procedures for manual system operation and automated system operation through the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) system.
- Participates in short and long range system planning processes
- Represents the electric utility at meetings and in communications with engineers, regulatory agencies and consultants. Confers with a variety of internal and external contacts regarding operating and service issues.
- Keeps abreast of changes in electric distribution technology and regulations through attendance at conferences and meetings, contacts with other professionals, reading literature and participating in professional organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to manage, solve problems, and work effectively under stress, within deadlines and in emergency situations.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with all employees, Tribal officials, industry peers and customers.
- Must have adequate communication skills between office and outside field crews.
- Must have ability to maintain sufficient records, assemble and analyze data.
- Must have the ability to prepare accurate reports, assist in the formulation of policy and service recommendations.
- Professional public management techniques in budgeting, labor relations, public relations, contract negotiations, contract administration and general project management.
- Expertise in safety practices and general methods, materials and equipment used in utility design, construction, repair and maintenance.
Qualifications: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Educational requirements include a Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from an accredited institution required. Licensure as a Professional Engineer (P.E.) required.
- Experience requirements include ten years of engineering and operations work within an electric utility, along with a minimum three years of supervisory experience
- Must possess a valid Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of designing and developing substations and electric distribution and transmission systems along with the operation and maintenance of each.
- Working knowledge of clearance and tagging procedures.
- Basic understanding of construction practices, equipment, and materials.
- Working knowledge of SCADA system operations and use.
- Considerable knowledge of National Electric Safety Codes, OSHA regulations, and other codes and regulations governing power transmission and distribution.
- Ability to coordinate, schedule, assign, prioritize and supervise the work of skilled utility workers.
- Ability to effectively communicate and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing and make presentations in a public forum.
- Ability to critically assess situations, solve problems and work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with employees, vendors, manufacturers, contractors, other public utility professionals, administrators, regulators and the public.
- Ability to use basic office equipment such as telephone, calculator, photocopier, fax, personal computer and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, database, and applications used in electrical system modeling and automated drafting.
Degree in Electrical Engineering and electric utility experience. Required.
Ten years of electric utility engineering experience with progressive responsibility.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, and equivalent electric utility experience. Required
- Professional engineering license. Required.
- At least 10 years of experience in electric utility engineering, including power system engineering, planning, field engineering.
- Knowledge of running and analyzing electric power load flows.
- Knowledge of FERC and state regulations.
Strong logic and reasoning skills, experience managing a power supply portfolio, and power supply contracts, experience managing transmission and distribution system assets including FERC Open Access Rules.
Strong background in computers and software utilized in electric utility operations.
Skills in MS Office and Outlook
Certificates and Licenses:
Must have valid, current driver’s license and be insurable under the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe insurance plan. Must have a DMV/MVR which reflects five years.
Must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
Must adhere to the Tribe’s Drug-Free Policy and agree to maintain a Drug-Free workplace.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Under the supervision of the General Manager, manages AMPS staff members both in the office and in the field. Coordinates the activities of staff and frequently handles daily issues and concerns of employees.
General office and Board room environment as well as occasional job site environment.
While on project sites, employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and/or machinery.
While on project sites, employee is occasionally exposed to extreme summer heat and winter seasons as well as occasional wet or humid conditions.
Sitting, standing, occasional lifting. Good hearing and vision are required.
The work environment demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, lift, reach with hands and arms, climb, balance or stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, talk or hear and taste or smell.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced.The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.
This page will be for Fort Mojave Tribal members only. You will need access to this page by registering and logging into the site when you visit. There is a register and sign option to the right of the page. If you have an account already use the sign in tool. If you do not have an account, use the register button and provide your information to gain access. You will be emailed when your access is approved.