Under the supervision of the Unit Director, the Activity Leader helps in all areas as assigned and helps plan, implement, supervise and evaluate all programs and activities provided in the Boys & Girls Club of Aha Macav. Activities take place at all sites for youth such as: Cadet Hall, Plebe Hall, Teen Center, Gymnasium, and Skate/bike Park. Daily completes cleaning duties maintain sanitary and safe environments for the children’s use. The individuals selected for this position must be at least eighteen (18) years or older. Transport children as assigned and field trips. Performs other duties as assigned by CPO, or Unit Directors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Promote safety of members; qualify in programs, and appearance of the facilities at all times.
- Provide guidance and role modeling to members.
- Promote and stimulate program participation, welcome new members and participate in their orientation process.
- Participate in weekly branch staff meetings.
- Assists staff in promoting programs of health education, proper conditioning, personal hygiene, physical fitness, intramural team sports, and sports clinics.
- Prepare required reports concerning activities, attendance, and other records as requested.
- Promote interest and participation in all activities.
- Keep the physical education area clean on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain close daily contact with club staff, club members, supervisor and volunteers to receive and provide information, discuss issues, and understand guidelines/instruction.
- Also, other duties as assigned and be ready to work a flexible schedule.
- Transport children to assigned bus stop and at times outside of Mohave Valley/Needles area for field trips.Competency:
- Must have ability in working with children ages 6 years – 17 years of age.
- Must have ability to motivate and maintain discipline
- Must have ability to deal with the general public
- Must have ability to plan and promote quality programs for youth in the area of health personal hygiene and physical education
- Must have ability to organize and supervise members in a safe environment
- Must have ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations and/or emergencies.
Qualifications: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- High School Diploma, GED or working towards obtaining
- One (1) year experience and/or training working with children ages 6 years-17 years of age, preferred.
- Able to communicate, read and write effectively with youth, parents, staff and general public.
- Basic Math Skills
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Minimal computer skills to use Microsoft Word, Print Master, and other creative media
- productions, etc.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Material Utilization:
- Must be able to use broom, dust mops, mops and cleaning material.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Must have valid Driver’s License or work toward obtaining.
- Must become certified in CPR and basic First Aid within 90 days of employment.
- Must become Food Handler certified within 90 days of employment.
- Must complete Boys & Girls Club of America on-line certification training within 90 days
- of employment.
- Must pass pre-employment drug screening and pass thorough background screening conducted every two (2) years.
- Must acknowledge and adhere to the drug and alcohol policy.
- Supervise youth in areas of interest in safe and fun environment.
- Must be able to work inside and outside gym during extreme summer heat and winter seasons, occasionally exposed to wet or humid conditions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit for intermittent or long periods of time; use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move 50 pounds. Able to lift equipment with the assistance of other staff, such as tables, chairs when completing daily cleaning duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.