The Billing Specialist/Customer Service Representative (CSR) accurately performs the complete billing cycle for all FMTUA utility accounts each month and manages the work order process. This position will assist the with Customer Service duties to ensure back log at the front CSR desk is kept to a minimum. This position is under general supervision by the Accounting Manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Each month processes the water and sewer utility bills for our customers. This includes inputting meter read data, uploading the file, and verifying and approving output.
- Prepares the monthly revenue report needed by the Accounting Manager to record revenue in the General Ledger. Investigates and resolves discrepancies.
- Investigates and resolves customer billing and service complaints. Issues work orders in the CUBIC billing system as needed.
- Manages the work order process. Enters completed work order information into CUBIC. Runs reports for outstanding work orders, reconciles and resolves.
- Prepares work orders for issues indicated on the read sheets.
- Assists with customers in the new development stage, as needed, obtain site plans, prepare work orders as necessary for Operations.
- Assists with the sewer tap inspection process, as needed, initiate work orders when ready for inspection. Updates Pending new construction log and book.
- Processes account adjustments and customer refunds.
- Updates customer accounts in CUBIC billing system as needed.
- Updates the CUBIC billing system as needed for rate codes and messages on the bills.
- Assists in the collection process on delinquent accounts.
- Bills customers for dump fees and follows up to ensure payment is received.
- Assists the CSR as needed by performing customer services duties. This includes but is not limited to, opening a cash drawer and servicing customers that walk-in, process payments received in the mail and internet and process new applications.
- Answers phone in professional and courteous manner.
- Assists the Accounting Manager with appropriate duties as assigned.
- Performs all work while adhering to company safe operating policies and procedures.
- The above list is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual assigned to this classification. This is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the Billing Specialist/CSR position. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
- • Must have excellent communication skills to understand oral and/or written instructions and to be able to share information easily.
- • Must be outgoing and able to deal with difficult customers
- • Must be a team player and maintain a positive attitude.
- • Must have the ability to maintain records.
- • Must be able to prioritize work and meet all deadlines.
- • Must have problem solving skills and be able to multi-task.
- • Must have the ability to work independently.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Individuals in this position must communicate effectively with utility customers both in person and over the telephone; understand pertinent procedures and functions quickly and use good judgement in interpreting and applying them to a variety of circumstances under supervision; operate a personal computer; analyze and evaluate data; make accurate and logical determinations based upon data and interpretive guidelines; maintain accurate records; speak clearly and concisely; simultaneously converse with customers and accurately and quickly enter data into a computer.
Minimum education requires a high school graduate (or equivalent). College level course work preferred but not required.
Minimum 1 year customer service experience, including cash handling experience. Utility customer service experience preferred. Previous systems experience and the ability to learn new software quickly. Minimum of 1 or more years data entry experience.
Strong written and verbal communication skills. Proficient in English speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Must have basic math ability.
Knowledge and experience in Excel, MS Word and Outlook. Utility billing software preferred.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools and Material Utilization:
Computer, multi-line telephone, copy/fax machine, 10 key adding machine, postal/mailing equipment.
Certificates and Licenses:
Must have valid, current driver’s license and be insurable under the Fort Mojave Indian Tribe insurance plan. Must have a DMV/MVR which reflects five years.
Must be able to pass a drug test and background check.
Must adhere to the Tribe’s Drug-Free Policy and agree to maintain a Drug-Free workplace.
Previous accounting experience preferred but not required.
Work is performed in an office environment utilizing modern office equipment and technology. Work under close technical supervision. Work in progress and completed work is reviewed continuously.
Sitting, standing, occasional lifting. Good hearing and vision are required. The work environment demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle or feel, lift, reach with hands and arms, balance or stoop, talk or hear.
The Indian Preference Act will be enforced.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by people assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities associated with it. The Fort Mojave Indian Tribe reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs.